Location: Parsippany, NJ. remote considered
Veterinary Professional Services– Field Specialist (OA/Pain)
Link to job description and application site:
Zoetis Specialists are a team within Veterinary Professional Services (VPS) division at Zoetis Petcare. The team includes five talented boarded-certified specialists with unique focus areas in Parasitology, Dermatology and OA/Pain, unparalleled in number and breadth of expertise by any other animal health company. The team includes internationally recognized thought leaders with backgrounds in clinical practice, academia and research. They are committed to supporting our industry-leading field force by providing our customers and the veterinary profession with expert contemporary medical education and scientific support so that Zoetis may maintain a sustainable competitive advantage with our science, our products and our services. In addition, our Zoetis Specialists provide critical medical and educational support to Strategic Customer Accounts and our Corporate and Specialty (C&S) account partners who are key to the Zoetis Petcare business strategy.
The Pain Specialist will be a highly valued and respected scientific advisor to business leadership and headquarters marketing teams on products, services, future pipeline products and all matters which relate to OA/Pain. While the primary objective is directed towards supporting our customers and field colleagues, this role is highly collaborative, working in a matrixed environment with numerous internal and external stakeholders.
Field role: Collaboration with field colleagues to provide education to veterinarians and veterinary staff (90% of the role)
- Be a valued partner with sales colleagues and technical veterinarians to provide persuasive educational presentations and discussions to veterinary customers on all aspects of OA/Pain (prevention, detection and treatment).
- Provide balanced product advocacy in scientific education to customers with integrity and advocacy for best medicine
- Adapt content and communication/delivery to address unique customer opportunities and challenges to showcase and grow Zoetis OA/Pain portfolio
- Generate innovative content to share insights and experience to grow the business and to elucidate and leverage new business opportunities
- Play an active role in identifying key customers/influencers and in devising and executing key customer strategies in support of Strategic and Corporate and Specialty (C&S) Accounts and in collaboration with VPS and brand teams.
Customer Requests for Information:
- Actively engage and interact with colleagues and customers (other specialists, sales, cross-functional brand team/committees, key customers/accounts – corporate and independent) to build a reputation as a trusted go-to advisor
- Respond to customer (internal and external) requests for information and feedback with timely, contemporary, insightful expert advice and opinion.
- Identify, develop, and deliver scientific and technical and clinical presentations to internal and external audiences (veterinarians and technicians in all Zoetis accounts).
- Be recognized as a popular and credible speaker through delivery of compelling and impactful presentations symposia, VMAs, webinars, round tables, lunch/dinner events, and practice visits
- Be a sought-after speaker at large regional, major national and international scientific and clinical conferences
Professional organizations, Colleges of Veterinary Medicine and Key Opinion Leaders:
- Establish strong working relationships with key faculty at Colleges of Veterinary Medicine and Key Opinion Leaders in OA/Pain and related specialty areas
- Be recognized as an influential thought leader and establish a reputation as a highly credible spokesperson within your peer group.
Other responsibilities (10 % of the role)
- Serve as a trusted technical and strategic advisor to marketing and medical leads and be recognized as an integral member of product/market teams able to fully and reliably execute brand vision and messaging.
- As requested, take leadership role and support the Veterinary Professional Services team to help lead and organize Therapeutic Area Focus teams and specific marketing/business initiatives.
- Proactively provide strategic input to the respective marketing teams, including the Director and marketing managers, as to the technical/medical/business gaps and needs for the business
Training / Education:
- As requested, take an active role working with Learning and Development in developing training curricula for sales and technical colleagues, and in designing educational programs for customers
- As requested, be prepared to mentor and knowledge-share with junior/new field specialists, across business units and therapeutic areas
Professional / Customer Organizations:
- With input and agreement from the Director, be active in professional/specialty/customer organizations by serving on committees, boards and commissions or as an officer or speaker on the organization’s behalf.
- Generate expert opinion on the latest or emerging treatment guidelines, protocols or recommendations for internal integration into brand/business strategy and tactics
- Be able to advise and persuade management at all levels of Zoetis on technical issues and provide expert contemporary opinion to frame business opportunities
- Be recognized as an expert able to provide advice to customers, consultants, academicians, and internal groups (new products, diagnostics etc.)
- Maintain deep and comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all scientific and medical information relative to the OA/Pain therapeutic area in target species as well as animal models and in human medicine.
Zoetis Values and Leader Behaviors:
- Demonstrate Zoetis core beliefs and behaviors
- Demonstrate strong leadership behaviors within Veterinary Professional Services and Zoetis Petcare
- Fully embrace Zoetis efforts and initiatives in Diversity, Equity &Inclusion, and Sustainability
- Lead with influence by example, with actions aligned to Zoetis mission and values
- Interface collegially and professionally across business units and suggest useful and effective actions to improve overall Zoetis performance
- Constantly seek ways to improve Zoetis and take leadership in identifying continuous improvement initiatives by proactively integrating insights into future engagements
Required Job related candidate qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree or equivalent
- Recognized expert in pain with board certification (surgery, anesthesiology, internal medicine, sports medicine or other), and/or extensive research output, and/or significant experience in clinical practice, academia, or industry
- Thought leader who challenges status quo and can drive paradigm shifts
- 6-8 years post-doctoral experience in clinical practice, academia, research or industry is an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and communication/presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and computer skills
- Ability to collaborate and effectively work within cross-functional teams
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to rapidly evolving business needs
- Ability to work and navigate in an environment of regulatory and legal processes
- Ability to travel 60-70% weeks
- Some weekend travel will be necessary (compensation days apply)
Desirable Candidate Qualifications
- Outstanding clinical knowledge and skills
- Research experience,
- Published scientific papers, book chapters etc.
- History of leadership in related professional organizations
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of “@zoetis.com”. In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.
Any unsolicited resumes sent to Zoetis from a third party, such as an Agency recruiter, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Zoetis mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Zoetis employees, or to Zoetis resume database will be considered Zoetis property. Zoetis will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Zoetis will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. This includes any Agency that is an approved/engaged vendor but does not have the appropriate approvals to be engaged on a search.
For additional information:
Dr. Andy Hillier (email@example.com) Director of Zoetis Specialists